Sunday, September 2, 2007

Just A Long Vacation

So here I am, finally at RIT. It's been the first week of my stay here and it's been going good. I wasn't sure what to expect here. Whether it was the fact that I'm in the middle of nowhere, or that I'm not surrounded by minorities anymore. Or maybe it's the fact that I've lost all the conveniences at home. You know, corner store deli's, any form of asian food and for that matter, good food in general, public transportation and other things. The list just goes on and on and on. In all honestly, I didn't know how I would survive here without such things. However, I'm adjusting quite well, contrary to my old thoughts. Like home, I met people that are just like me, just a whole lot more, and in some cases more extreme.

The week of orientation was the way to meet people and the faculty. I met my faculty advisor, who is head of the video games major and the dude that penned up the syllabus. Also met the 72 other students in my major, Cole included. We all got the jokes, we all wanted to go to places like GDC and E3, and we all basically wanted to make games. Good times. Orientation provided alot of cool things. Free arcade night so it was free pool and all the arcade games were on free play, including DDR. There is this place nearby outside of campus called Arena 51, which has dedicated machines for doubles, singles and what not. I hear the pads are perfect, so I gotta check it out. There were also comedians, a hypnotist, a mentalist and musicians. All in all, a fun week before starting classes.

In any case, classes started today. All were boring, and it seemed like i knew the stuff. I hold off for tomorrow to see if its the same. I definately hope not. I mean...its college. I have to learn, but I need to enjoy myself too, dammit. So far, I've just been swimming alot, staying in shapte and trying to lose weight. A goal to fight off the freshman 15. Clubs start tomorrow and the kendo club looks exciting. Fencing club, anime club, the game developers and the game players. All look appealing, but which deserves my attention and which don't.

Oh, yeah the asian frats tried to get me to join. I thought I would escape the bronx scienceness of it all, but i guess not. C'est le Vie. Oh, well. Can't win em all right?

Stay safe and don't be strangers
-Nick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, at first I was annoyed that you moved away from Xanga. The only reason I joined Xanga was so I could stay in touch with people, and now people keep leaving. I don't intend to join every new service people sign up for after they drop Xanga. Fortunately, I saw you were using Blogger, which I already had an account for...except now Blogger's been bought out by Google. Man, I remember Yahoo! being all the rage, but I don't remember it buying up stuff like Google has. First Google got YouTube, and now this. Also fortunately, I had a Google s/n too, so I can post on your blog. Since your blog doesn't allow anonymous comments, though, I don't know how many people besides me will be able to post...

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that you're fitting in nicely. It's cool how everyone from your major met together. It really sounds exciting over there. I'm pretty jealous xp
I'm going to try swimming sometime this week. I just don't want to show up at the pool being the only one there lol. I mean here, there's kind of a sick reminder for me every day that if I do something weird, people are probably going to remember me for it because I'm like 1/15 of the Asian population. I could always pretend that I'm from CMU though hahaha...