Thursday, August 6, 2009

Friends at only an arms length

In the field of connecting people, technology has come a long way, especially in the last decade or so. I mean, hard to believe that it was in the early 90's that the interwebs went underway. Now we got social networking sites up the wazoo.
-----------
This summer, being at work really put a dampen on my social life. At least last year, when I worked at Summer Paradise, I was working with my friends. It was enjoyable, to say the least. This year, not so much. Work is a Mon - Fri, 9-5 internship. The job itself is rather rewarding, but it can get boring. Pro-tip, working a desk job can get REAL boring, and for those who haven't worked at all, you just don't know.

Working in front a computer really doesn't help my short attention span. I've been on facebook so much this summer just because I get bored easily inbetween programming. Everyone does it. When they're at work, they're not really work a good chunk 25% of the time. If everyone was 100% efficient, man the things we could accomplish. Too bad we can't. Anyway, it's nice to see what my friends from high school, or even junior high school are up to. It's nice to catch up. Isn't it? Facebook, among others, delivers this whole phenomenon of being friends at an arms length. People know what others are doing, and yet, they don't at the same time. What's this person like after a month, a year or even 5 years of not seeing this person. I'm certainly curious. It would help if the other end would be as well.

This summer was somewhat an attempt, to do such a thing. Catch up. The call was made, but for some, there was no response. For me, a short, succinct response, is better than none at all. Borderline insulting? Maybe not that bad, but it was sometimes annoying. I mean, this is what facebook is for right? Guess not.

So for them foo's who actually read this, summer is coming to a close. Get ya licks in, yo.

Enjoy the rest of yo' summa,
-Nick.

PS, I got mad handles. Nick. Moyboy. Murisoca. mr nekketsu. smokin_labbit. I gotta stick to one.